Finally – Career Advice for Actors, from
the People who Kick Start Acting Careers!
Discover How To:
FROM: Brian Timoney
Actors Studio, London N1
Dear Aspiring Actor
You’ve got some tough decisions to make.
OK I guess you’ve already made the biggest decision, when you chose to follow your acting dreams. But now, as you launch your career, you’ll face one dilemma after another:
Where to start…who to contact…how to follow up, and when…and how to get your CV to the top of a pile that never stops growing!
Then, when you land a big audition, how do you prepare? Should you be off the book? Do you dress for the part? Play it safe or take a few risks?
And most importantly – how do you respond when you’re quizzed by a director?
Make the wrong choices and the simple truth is, you’ll hurt your career prospects. But with all the right moves, you’ll be in the game. Frequent auditions, regular work.
So to steer you in the right direction, I’ve put together this audio series, featuring interviews with senior people who discover and manage actors.
I’ll tell you all about the CDs, and my expert guests, in a moment.
But first, let me tell you who I am – and why you should listen to me…
I built an acting career from scratch –
living proof that it can be done!
I’m Brian Timoney, and I’ve been acting for over 20 years, ever since I swapped my job in a bank for a career on stage and screen. I won’t pretend it was easy, starting from nowhere, because back in the early 90s career advice was thin on the ground. But despite the odds, I made it happen. And over the years I’ve worked with a host of leading actors and directors.
Yes, I admit it’s been hard work – but I’ve loved every minute!
Today, I spend most of my time running my actors studio in London and L.A., where I’m helping the next generation of actors to break through. As well as learning the best-kept secrets of Method Acting, my students get the best career guidance – courtesy of my contacts in the industry. Agents, coaches, casting directors…the people who can open doors.
And now, in this CD set, you can share in these insights too. So you can avoid the costly mistakes I made when I got started!
Let me tell you what to expect in this unique 6 part series…
Being an artist is all well and good. But Shakespeare
made a good living. Why shouldn’t you?
Your CD includes:
- The 3 Core Activities of Business, that you need as an actor
- How to understand your own ‘type’ and let it work for you
- Why your own self-image is the biggest obstacle in your career
- Get 2 auditions per week, when you set aside 45 minutes per day
- Turn gatekeepers into allies, and boost your chances of getting seen
- Using your first roles as leverage for the next career move
- T x E = S, S + P = C…two equations for a successful acting career
- Water skiing and surfing: the difference between film and theatre work!
Drama School Snobbery has gone. Today, the
industry is open to actors from all backgrounds…
Your CD includes:
- The best time to approach an agent, and what they want to hear
- Why agents will travel to far-flung venues to see a promising actor
- How to research an agent, to see if you’re a good fit for their books
- How to get professional headshots, without hiring a photographer
- The power of being yourself, and the danger of second-guessing the agent
- Finding local work, to get your career off the ground
- Why classical looks are becoming less and less important
- “Your showreel doesn’t have to be _ _ _ _ _, as long as it _ _ _ _ _ _! “
Contrary to myth, the work is out there…if you help
the Casting Director to place you in the right role
Your CD includes:
- Your CV: how to present – and prioritise – acting credits and skills
- How to project the right image and bring your headshots to life
- The best time to contact a Casting Director – and what they want to hear
- The dangers of being under, or over, prepared for your audition!
- How to keep your audition moving after a mistake
- What Directors secretly mean when they give you audition notes
- Evolve and enhance: why the world’s best actors are forever learning
- Why you should create your own work when the phone stops ringing
Casting tips from the man who discovered
Kate Winslet, Colin Farrell and Sienna Miller
Your CD includes:
- Dressing the part for an audition – how far should you go?
- Why some Film Directors refuse to cast established actors
- How Andy Serkis was cast in Lord of The Rings before he met Peter Jackson
- The importance of inner confidence…and the danger of arrogance
- Taking direction in your audition: should you let go of your character choices?
- How to stay sharp when you’re not in work – a lesson from Al Pacino
- The best digital formats for your images and showreels
- Insider predictions for the film industry in the next 10 years
Stay in touch, and stay positive…
you’re in it for the long haul!
Your CD includes:
- Using Spotlight to show your range and versatility
- How to contact a Casting Director, and when to follow up
- The clues that Casting Directors look for in your CV
- Why the ‘perfect’ headshot is the last one you should use
- How to prepare for auditions (clue: reading the script is not enough)
- What will directors be looking for the first time you read?
- The vital lesson that actors can learn from elite athletes
- The 7 qualities all actors need – because talent will only get you so far!
When you audition, be honest and brave and
instinctive…because that’s where the magic is!
Your CD includes:
- “British actors can be lazy in auditions” – a chance for you to break in!
- Impressing Directors by plotting an emotional arc for your character
- “What excites us in a casting room is when an actor _ _ _ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ “
- Why traditional training is a handicap if you’re acting on camera
- Stop being the ‘Hobby Actor’ and get inside the industry loop
- Why knowing the latest writers, directors and genres will help your career
- The risk of ticking too many skill boxes in your Spotlight profile!
- Why bulking up your CV will stop you getting work
WARNING: this material is for committed actors looking for more auditions. It is not for people looking for a passport to instant fame!
I have to stress this – because so many people, I find, are looking at acting for all the wrong reasons. Not because they want to explore their creative side and enjoy the many challenges of stage, TV and film work…but because they see famous actors on the covers of magazines and long for the glitzy lifestyle. These people, I can’t help.
If you’re going to invest in this material, you should understand this. It’s not about propelling you to a 7 figure deal so you can spend 50 weeks of the year lying on the deck of a yacht!
It’s about knowing who to call, what to say, and when. It’s about knowing your best qualities, so you read for suitable roles. It’s about getting auditions, and getting through them…getting the offer.
It’s about working. By changing the way you run your acting life – from a hobby, to a business.
So…if you’re ready to act now, please accept my challenge
Order your CDs. Rip open the box, listen to them back to back, take furious notes…then straight away, get busy putting all this advice into action.
Tweak your CV, review your headshots, start talking to the right people. Create showreels. Get on Spotlight. Find out what’s filming and where. You’ll know how.
That’s my challenge. Just do as our experts say, and you will get auditions.
And for time only, your investment is just one single payment of £97.
That’s around a fraction of the price you’d pay to sit in a class or conference listening to speakers at this level. (And you get to listen in your own time, at your own pace. Again and again!)
Before I sign off today, let me share the best career advice I can offer:
Whatever you do next, please don’t guess your way through the acting system!
I can tell you from firsthand experience, there are too many pitfalls out there. So if you choose to go it alone, you’re bound to make some bad choices. Effectively, you’ll be navigating without a map – making it nigh on impossible to find the quickest way through.
So whether you choose this material, or seek advice elsewhere, you need guidance from someone you can trust, who knows the industry back to front.
If you’re happy to put that trust in me, order your CDs now. Then in a few months, drop me a line and tell me how you’re doing. Tell me how you got your first audition, made your acting debut…and the big one, when you gave up the day job!
OK, so order your CDs now – they’ll be in your hands in the next x days. And then, it’s all up to you…
To Your Acting Success!
P.S. Despite what people tell you, there’s a lot of acting work out there. And competitive as the industry is, you’ll have the edge in the market. Because most actors simply don’t know what you’re about to discover. And those that do know, well…how many of them will make the same effort as you?